Steyning Fire Brigade.
Built during the later part of the 15th,early 16th century The Old Market House in the High Street,Steyning has had many uses over the centuries and is still in use today. The Old Market House served when the market was held regularly in the High Street of the village.In 1655 George Fox,the founder of the Society of Friends and a great traveller in that cause addressed a Quaker meeting there. For a while it was the Town Hall,it later become the Police Station and then became the Fire Station when the brigade was formed in the days of the horse drawn fire engine back in 1881.The old Fire Bell notice is still preserved today on the building but you can no longer pull the handle which rang the bell to summon the fire brigade;which is just as well as it always used to upset the striking mechanism of the clock!This clock once surmounted the pigeon loft of Michalgrove near Arundel in Sussex but when that country mansion was demolished in 1860 the clock was given to Steyning by the Duke of Norfolk,and was then erected onto the roof of the Market House.
The model is based on an old photograph taken in Steyning in 1897,the year Queen Victoria celebrated her Diamond Jubilee.
The model was built over a 3 month period and is in 1/76 scale,the fireman figures are by Langley Miniature Models,the Victorian figures made of pewter are by Andrew C.Staddon.
Picture added on 07 April 2015 at 10:47